2020 KTM 85 SX 19/16
Step Into The Big Leagues: With the pro ranks within reach, the KTM 85 SX offers a real taste of the big league of motocross. Following in the footsteps of champions, every inch of this motorcycle mimics the proven design of the big bike range. A lightweight, high-quality frame houses its compact “rocket ship" of an engine, which delivers unrivaled performance and rideability. This mini warrior is the ultimate race weapon and is ready to go out and conquer all in the fight for the top step of the podium.
- KTM 2-strokes have been tearing up MX tracks for decades and are undoubtedly the fastest on the track today. Thanks to years of ongoing development, these engines are the benchmark in performance and technology, with the perfect combination of power, weight and control. Through melodic high-RPM screams, KTM 2-strokes continue to deliver thrilling high-performance harmonics.
- It took extreme levels of ingenuity to fit the race-winning formula of KTM's bigger 2-strokes into a compact 85 cc engine. A special manufacturing process is used and provides impressive weight savings without sacrificing strength or durability. The super compact power plant is fitted with a 6-speed gear box and delivers class-leading power and rideability throughout the entire rev range. The power valve plays a key role in tailoring power delivery to suit track conditions and rider ability, ensuring that the only rider surprised by the incredible performance is the competition.
- Cylinder: The cylinder on the 2020 model has a bore and stroke of 47/48.95 mm. It features a sophisticated power valve system, which controls both the exhaust valve and the sub exhaust ports, giving the bike excellent torque and power delivery. This translates into significant midrange performance, reducing the need to overwork the clutch in loamy or sandy conditions. An adjuster screw allows the opening time of the power valve to be adjusted to suit rider preference and track conditions.
- Crankcases and engine covers: The crankcases are manufactured using a high pressure die-cast production process, keeping wall thickness to a minimum while retaining strength and durability. The design of the cases is very compact and aims at positioning the shaft arrangements as close as possible to the center of gravity, contributing to better handling.
- Transmission: The 85 SX features a light and robust 6-speed gearbox. The gear ratios have been developed to perfectly match the characteristics of the engine, while easy and precise shifting allows the rider to select the next gear quickly and confidently. The gearbox features a new drive shaft which uses a screw for pinion fixation and diaphragm spring instead of a circlip, ensuring secure pinion fixation. Another highlight of the 85 SX transmission is the "no-dirt" gear shifter. Similar to the footpeg design, it prevents the build-up of dirt and ensures the next gear is always available, no matter what the conditions.
- Maintaining the optimal engine temperature is crucial to ensuring consistent horsepower throughout the ride. The KTM 85 SX features radiators which are positioned for a lower center of gravity. Their design matches the shrouds perfectly and offers a great slim feel to the ergonomics. By using CFD technology (computational fluid dynamics) together with a clever coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures the optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, no matter what the conditions. The radiators also feature special protectors that serve not only as protection from flying rocks and debris but also as a brace that disperses energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- The exhaust system has been designed to perfectly match the engine's power characteristics and contributes to the outstanding all-round performance and rideability. The header pipe is produced using a 3-dimensional stamping process. Once the components have been shaped, they are robot welded to ensure the highest level of quality, consistency and durability. The lightweight and compact silencer has been reworked with improved packing wool (40 g lighter), guaranteeing that sweet 2-stroke sound and falling safely within the noise limits for racing.
- For the 85cc, KTM has successfully developed a chassis that not only handles the hard-charging brutality of a 15-year-old, but also effectively accommodates a lightweight newcomer to the class. This is achieved through its lightweight, high-tech steel frame. Its optimized flex characteristics provide a great feeling for the rider and help to soak up those big hits, while also delivering excellent agility and high-speed stability. Every element is designed to work in perfect harmony and contributes to an intuitive ride like no other.
- The frame on the KTM 85 SX is a scaled-down version of the championship-proven full-size frames. It is professionally crafted using hydroformed chromium molybdenum steel tubes that are robot welded, ensuring the highest levels of consistent quality. The flex characteristics have been specifically tailored for easy handling and optimal comfort, while working in perfect harmony with the suspension, to ensure excellent agility and high-speed stability. For 2020, the frames feature highly durable orange powder coating and come with standard frame protectors.
- Swingarm: The one-piece swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process for exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. It offers a wide range of adjustment for the rear wheel, allowing for a shorter wheelbase on tighter, twisty tracks, or a longer wheelbase for greater stability on longer, more choppy tracks. The swingarm's chain measurement markings are visible from above, making adjustment simpler and more accurate.
- Subframe: Made from lightweight aluminum, the subframe provides rear fender stability and strong support for the rider at little extra weight.: Made from lightweight aluminum, the subframe provides rear fender stability and strong support for the rider at little extra weight.Made from lightweight aluminum, the subframe provides rear fender stability and strong support for the rider at little extra weight.
- Black Excel rims and CNC-machined hubs ensure the strongest base of forward momentum on the KTM 85 SX. MAXXIS tires have been fitted to deliver exceptional straight-line stability and excellent traction on a wide variety of terrain, ensuring the power ends up where it is intended - on the ground.
- Front suspension: The KTM 85 SX front fork features the same suspension technology found in the full-size motocross range. The WP XACT fork with AER technology consists of a split fork design with a capsuled air spring in the left leg and the trusted oil damping system in the right leg. It offers a significant reduction of 2.2 lbs in weight over conventional spring forks. Importantly, the preload adjustment is extremely simple and can be adjusted by using the single air pressure valve and supplied air pump. The design also allows for easy access to compression and rebound clickers.
- Rear suspension: The KTM 85 SX features a WP XACT rear shock absorber with the sophisticated PDS (Progressive Damping System). The design offers a high progression rate and an excellent response. It allows an impressive 305 mm of rear wheel travel and is fully adjustable for preload, compression and rebound.
- The KTM 85 SX features the FORMULA brake system with radial calipers - four pistons in front, two in the rear - with lightweight Wave brake discs - front 240 mm diameter, rear 210 mm. The system is the benchmark in terms of controlled action and braking performance, ensuring powerful and confident braking.
- The KTM 85 SX airbox is designed to optimize the small space available to deliver the best possible performance, while still maintaining the highest level of filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Knowing that air literally breathes power into the motor, KTM has ensured that the process of inserting a new clean filter could not be any easier. The Twin Air filter and filter cage design features a simple, secure mounting system, making filter maintenance a quick, easy and accurate task.
- 85cc riders come in all shapes and sizes, which requires intelligent motorcycle design to cater for these dynamics. For optimal high-performance ergonomics, KTM used the proven design of the big bike range on the KTM 85 SX. The goal was to provide a neutral riding position that, together with perfectly shaped bodywork, offers the best rider comfort and maneuverability. A rider's main interaction with the motorcycle comes through the seat, footpegs and handlebars, which is why KTM has used the best quality parts in these areas. The placement of these crucial contact points is also vitally important for balance and control and, through various handlebar position options, can be adjusted to suit a rider's preference. This ensures the optimal riding position for race-winning performance.
- The KTM 85 SX features a strong, lightweight, tapered aluminum handlebar, with a specifically shaped bend to suit the overall ergonomics. Additionally, the bike comes standard with ODI lock-on grips, which include a vulcanized grip on the right side and a lock-on grip on the left that do not require glue or wire for mounting.
- The KTM 85 SX has “no-dirt" footpegs, which have a simple but effective self-cleaning system that ensures the footpegs return to their original position, providing complete control in all conditions. The KTM 85 SX has “no-dirt" footpegs, which have a simple but effective self-cleaning system that ensures the footpegs return to their original position, providing complete control in all conditions.
- The bodywork on the 2020 KTM 85 SX is carried over from its predecessor and was designed to have the same touch points and overall feeling as the full size SX range. This similarity in bodywork is great preparation for an 85 cc rider's imminent move to the bigger bikes of pro-level motocross, making the transition as seamless as possible. KTM factory riders, KTM R&D and Kiska Design all contributed to achieving the goal of complete harmony between rider and bike. These contact points allow maximum freedom of movement and improved agility. The front and rear fenders have an I-beam structure, which is a prime example of the intelligent design that produces maximum stability with the lowest possible weight.
- The bodywork is fittingly finished off with aggressive, modern graphics, leaving the competition in no doubt of a rider's race-winning intentions. The bodywork is fittingly finished off with aggressive, modern graphics, leaving the competition in no doubt of a rider's race-winning intentions.
- Absolute performance purity is the name of the game when it comes to the KTM 85 SX. Undiluted 2-stroke simplicity with an hour meter to keep a check on how long you've been shredding and an optional rev counter to assist with perfect setup.
- Displacement: 84.9 cm³
- Design: 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- Bore: 47 mm
- Stroke: 48.95 mm
- Starter: Kickstarter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet, multi-disc clutch, Formula hydraulics
- EMS: MEDJ digital
- Frame design: Central-tube frame with double-cradle
- Rear suspension: XACT WP PDS mono shock
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 240 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 210 mm
- Chain: 1/2 x 5/16"
- Steering head angle: 66 °
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 2-stroke
- 84.9 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 47 mm x 48.95 mm
- Fuel System
- MEDJ digital
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- XACT WP PDS mono shock
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Final Drive
- Chain: 1/2 x 5/16 in.